At the January 30 CIF State Federated Council meeting, the Council voted to pass the following proposals:
1. Softball and Baseball coaches requirement to wear a protective helmet while coaching during a game on the field. Effective immediately.
2. Limitation of full speed contact drills in the sport of football that includes a definition of full speed contact. The coaches are limited to two (2) days per week, and 90 minutes per session for full speed contact drills and practice.
The Section recommends that football coaches attend the Practice like the Pro’s seminar to receive training for best training practices and techniques to safely prepare students for game speed contact within the practice time limitations and restrictions.
3. Revision of Bylaw 22 requiring coaches education to include the training for the awareness, recognition and management of sudden cardiac arrest in student-athletes. This training will coincide with first-aid / CPR and concussion training. The coaches will be required to include the sudden cardiac training the next time they are due to complete their first aid / CPR & concussion training (every two years).
4. Return to play concussion protocol to include a graduated return policy of no less than seven (7) days from the date a licensed health care provider identifies the athlete sustained a concussion. This diagnosis cannot take place on the same day of the injury.
5. State football bowl championships have been expanded to include all section division champions.
Proposals are attached for review-
- VIII_a_2 Proposed Bylaw 1502 _ 2502 - Baseball and Softball.pdf
- VIII_a_2 Proposed Bylaw 503 H- Concussion Protocol Revision.pdf
- VIII_a_2 Proposed State Football Bowl Championship Revisions.pdf
- VIII_a_2 Proposed Bylaw 1901 A_B Additions- Limited Football Practice.pdf
- VIII_a_2 Proposed Revision of Bylaw 22_B__9_ and Bylaw 503 J- Sudden Cardiac Arrest.pdf